Tartarus (Ancient Greek: Τάρταρος (Tártaros)) was the protogenos (primordial god) of the stormy Tartarean Pit that lays beneath the Earth. Rather than being an anthropomorphized being, Tartaros' body was the stormy pit itself. According to Hesiod's Theogony, he was one of the first to emerge when the universe was created, after Khaos and Gaia.
The children that Tartarus sired differs depending the time period, tradition, or author. In general, the offspring of Tartarus are powerful and monstrous beings:
- According to Greek poet Hesiod (8th-7th Century BCE), Tartarus had one offspring- the giant Typhoeus (Typhon), by Gaia.
- According to fragments by the Greek poet Bacchylides (5th Century BCE), Tartarus fathered the Telkhines, by Nemesis.
- According to the Greek historian Apollodorus (2nd Century BCE), Tartarus fathered both Typhoeus and Echidna, both by Gaia.
- According to the Latin author and scholar Hyginus (1st Century BCE-1st Century CE), Tartarus fathered Typhoeus and the Gigantes (Giants), all by Gaia.
- Tartarus appears in The Fate of Atlantis: Torment of Hades.
- Tartarus appears In The God Of War Video Game Series
- Tartarus appears in persona 3
|Kháos • Gaîa • Ouranós • Tártaros • Hydros • Thesis • Chronos • Ananke • Nyx • Erebus • Aithḗr • Hemera • Póntos • Thalassa • Phanes • Phusis|